Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Dish 2: PIG'S BLOOD


Having had Duck's Blood before, I wanted to try it again and give my updated thoughts on the cuisine. You can find Pig or Duck's blood in most Authentic Chinese restaurants throughout NYC, but short on time, we opted for Pig's Blood found in the Brooklyn, Chinatown.


ON THE PLATE:
It doesn't have that, "Mmmm, mmm good" smell, but its not offensive like Stinky Tofu. There's a slight musky odor thats familiar, but I can't put my finger on.  Visually it looks like a chocolate bar thats been sweating in the hot sun with small pores peppered throughout.

IN THE MOUTH:
Upon my first bite, the texture of the Pig's Blood was very noticeable. It had a smooth outer texture and a gritty texture upon chewing that stuck to my teeth. It wasn't at all pleasurable chewing as if I was eating mushy chalk, but it didn't deter me from finishing the 6 pieces I had left on my plate. I found some pieces tougher than others, which could be signs of older bloods being sold. The taste wasn't strong in flavor, but a hint of that musky odor could be hinted in the back of my throat.

WILL TRY AGAIN, ONLY BECAUSE...
...we may have gotten an older batch.  The taste is very doable and not offensive, but lack of flavor to me would put Pig's Blood middle to low of the totem pole of a menu.  I'll have to try a fresh batch and update this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment